As a “capstone” to our students’ classical and Christ-centered education, beginning in June 2023, Mars Hill Academy will begin taking its rising seniors and interested alumni on a two-week study tour of Greece and Italy. As Winston Churchill said, “The greatest advances in human civilization have come when we recovered what we had lost: when we learned the lessons of history.” The Mars Hill Grand Tour is an effort to do just that: learn the lessons of history and to see these events as the unfolding of God’s sovereign hand in the lives of mankind.
- Day One: Depart Cincinnati for Athens, Greece.
- Day Two: Arrive in Athens, stroll around the Acropolis, visit the famous Mars Hill (Areopagus), explore Plaka.
- Day Three: Visit the National Archeological Museum of Athens; tour the Acropolis, including the Parthenon, Erectheion, the Temple of Athena Nike, and the Propylaea; see the Theatre of Dionysus, where the plays of Aeschylus, Sophocles, and Euripides were first performed.
- Day Four: Cross the Isthmian Canal to Corinth to see the Temple of Apollo, the Roman Agora, and the Bema Seat where Paul was tried before Gallio. Explore the ruins of Mycenae and King Agamemnon and the ancient Theater of Epidaurus before returning to Athens for a free evening.
- Day Five: Hike up Mt. Lycabettus and read Psalm 19 as the sun rises over Mt. Hymettus. A free morning in Athens before we journey to Delphi.
- Day Six: In Delphi, tour the Museum and Archaeological Site with the Treasury of the Athenians, Temple of Apollo, the Roman Theater and Stadium, and the Omphalos Stone. Travel to Ancient Olympia.
- Day Seven: Explore Ancient Olympia and run a foot race in the original Olympic Stadium before departing for Italy via ferry.
- Day Eight: Worship on the ferry and travel to Rome.
- Day Nine: Tour San Giovanni in Laterano, the Holy Staircase, the Catacombs of San Callisto, and the Coliseum.
- Day Ten: Visit St. Peter’s Basilica, enjoy the incredible art collection at the Vatican Museums and the Sistine Chapel. In the evening, enjoy Rome’s most iconic landmarks, including the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navonna, and Bernini’s famous Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi (Fountain of the Four Rivers).
- Day Eleven: Shop in Rome or visit the Galleria Borghese Museum. Depart for the village of Santa Maria degli Angeli.
- Day Twelve: Tour the Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi before discovering the village of Assisi on your own. Travel to Siena.
- Day Thirteen: Visit Siena’s main basilica, the Duomo, and it’s museum. as well as the Palazzo Pubblico (Town Hall) and Lorenzetti’s famous Allegory of Good and Bad Government.
- Day Fourteen: Enjoy sightseeing in Siena before departing for Florence.
- Day Fifteen: After morning worship, visit the Uffizi Museum (which houses the art collection of the Medici) and the Accademia Museum, which contains Michelangelo’s David.
- Day Sixteen: Explore the Church of San Lorenzo and the Church of Santa Maria Novella, including Masaccio’s Holy Trinity and the only crucifix designed by Brunelleschi. Afternoon travel to Venice.
- Day Seventeen: Tour Doge’s Palace and the Basilica of St. Mark’s and then explore the city.
- Day Eighteen: Depart for Cincinnati.
- Estimated Cost: $5600, including roundtrip airfare, ground/sea transportation, hotel accommodations, entrance fees, guides, breakfast daily, about half the dinners.
- About the Grand Tour
- Grand Tour Calendar
MAKE A PAYMENT